Sunday 6 January 2013

IYLC 2012: 5 days to forever


Maneando la cintura by Mr. Saik


look horrible as always



After 3 days of Semarang Youth Conference, I dare myself to sign up for IYLC in Jakarta from December 27 to December 1, 2012. At first. my heart and mind argued much, what sucks for being Lutfi is that I had no control to my body movements. Err. My heart won; and my feet brought me to our LC office and I paid immediately to Nila. It wasn't about money really, more about Now or Never.
We went by bus around 09:00 PM and arrived safely in Bank of Indonesia the next day almost the noon. I won't share every detail of the events that held by AIESEC here ahahah but my favorite-aha-moment was Indonesia Calling. That was when I felt really united with my homeland and our people. Just to let you know, the delegates were not only Javanese. But also from Sumatera and Sulawesi. Next time, I wish I'll meet people from Kalimantan, Bali, Nusa Tenggara, Maluku, and Papua! 

Jakarta view through the window in my room
You have no idea how crowded Jakarta really is! I feel like there was no oxygen left. But through my window in my room at Jusenny Hotel, floor number 2 and room number 222, Jakarta looked so beautiful. Okay err I put a lil effect on this pict, but seriously, it was cool. High towers and sky and roofs and people. This city was really dynamic, like it will never fall asleep.
Ok back to our conference..

1) Hotel Room
I shared a room in the corner 2nd floor with a girl from AIESEC LC University of Indonesia, Melinda. But at day 3 or 4 there are 2 girls joined us, I forgot their names :( But they were nice.
We stay tuned in Nickelodeon or FashionTV; personal belongings put randomly on make up table; big mirror  is perfect, on my right side while taking this picture there are 2 sofa and a big window
My foot steps was there
 2) What We Did

Party Rockin' | After a whole day fulfilled with serious thingy, we had party in the night. This one was carnival party so there were a lot of games and everyone dressed up in such colorful and funny costumes. Mine was the same dress I used on SYC. I don't care, I love its simply design. The party was held almost midnight but I put a beach hat too just because I miss spending time in the beach so much :/

This pict isn't perfect...at all. Blame the photographer, not the models! :p
Ok so that's Michael and Chema. Mike was my chair and he's from Romania, where dracula lives! Joke. Romania is such a paradise. I won't say no if one day I get an opportunity to make a visit *and taste a glass of blood instead, lol*. Mike is the president of AIESEC in Romania, isn't that awesome? He's such a humble, nice, funny, and smart guy! Say hi to Mike? Hiiii Miiikeee Any Romanian here? Would love to know more about your country, guys! Let's share ;) That another guy is Chema, he's currently working for AIESEC in New Zealand but he's originally a Mexican. Friendly, nice to talk to and loves to smile a lot hahah. Say hi to Chema, guys! Hiiii Chemaaa. At the party there a few common games we can find in a carnival, one of it (I personally found this quite interesting):
I asked my boyfriend what this game is called and he said it's Dart. It's simple you just need to shoot that disk in the center. Seems easy to do but you're gonna need much effort and focus, trust me!
I don't know if anyone else in the conference think the same thing but Dart is interesting. It's not one of Indonesian traditional games and I never saw any before coming to this conference. So, after I knew that this game named Dart(someone told me), I googled some facts about Dart. Dart is a game from Europe. It's a traditional pub game and commonly played in  UK, across The Commonwealth,  the Scandinavian, Belgium, Netherlands, Ireland, US, etc. There's world championship about this game, even the professional organizations, but it isn't ever recognized as Olympic sport.

It's good to be an LCP | Alright, other things I found quite awesome was fictitious LCP Election. I'm not so into being a leader or whatever due to my shyness, but I signed up myself!
Yes that was the booklet that I got from my mentor, Naoki. I was hesitate at first because....
...in less than 12 hours I need to prepare these whole selection that takes the whole day.
I doubt myself. Will I make it? What if I'm not good enough? What if I can't answer very well? WHAT IF I EMBARRASS MYSELF? (this is something I'm always trying to avoid anyway, considering I'm so clumsy) Well it's quite haunting me but WHO CARES? That fictitious LCP election might happen that time only, why not giving a shot? Just try it, I won't die only because signing up to be a president, that's ridiculous.
After arguing with myself like a total idiot, I grabbed the booklet that evening and spent that late night until early morning making essays to be submitted to my mentor. What I never expect was actually I'm not that bad! I got an opportunity until last selection in LC level with 2 of my amazing new fellows, Hammad and Kharisma. Hammad is a calm guy. Really calm and flowing quite stable & clear. His vision is simple but touched. While Kharisma is a girl with big ambition, she dares to make changes(which in some phases being my weakness). At the end, I wasn't elected but Hammad. That's pretty cool and I'm happy for him. I got the position on my LC Juu as Vice President of Outgoing Exchange for Global Internship Program. I thought it wasn't that hard, but in fact promoting a program to abroad to a few people is not easy. Doesn't mean it's impossible. Well, difficult but still possible. Some key messages I got from Kat and Inez: do not ever dare to do sales, focus on the program and do not ever forget that in AIESEC we offer high quality experience which is well-prepared. Tiring? Yes, but the experiences worth it!

Hello entrepreneur soul! | Last day on conference, we had Youth to Business which basically a panel forum where we met some important people from some big companies(I was quite nervous till I dressed up so formal and did my hair so neat like a geek) and able to do discussions. Before I tell you guys about what I got on last day, check what those lovely people on hotel gave to us:
Beautiful-yummy-chocolate-cakes!
I didn't take much notes during our discussion. One thing I remember the most when Michael asked what's our plan as an entrepreneur, a few of us raised hands and shared about the business they're currently enroll, ideas to start business and make companies, etc. I raised my hand and I guess...my business idea wasn't 'quite-normal'(the guys mainly talked about restaurants, boutique, online shop, etc) because I rambled about local surfboard company and local surf-summer-beachy clothing line plus its accessories. All about local and ethnic but still for surfers and surfer-like people. Potency of beautiful beaches and perfect waves in Indonesia, also 6 months dry 'summer' season in Indonesia, it inspired me to make this. I adore Billabong, Ripcurl, Quiksilver and Roxy, how those brands giving their up from 100% to provide stuff a surfer need. Though sadly their brands sell their stuff in 'quite hard to reach' - *cough* high prices so local have to think twice to their products. I think all the guys in that room were like this beach girl is talking about shit. I can see in their expression haha. I don't care :)
Look that Jakarta word, yay I was there :O
Our speaker from Garuda Indonesia airlines wasn't that spectacular, I can say. He talked about interesting things, the correlation between leadership and working in GIA and then the 'secret' how GIA always be the best airlines in Indonesia blah blah. But instead listening what he said, I only read the entire presentation on screen because he's kinda bored! (Sorry Sir, need improvements on that!). Then, there are two men from Timken talking about their branch corporation in Indonesia. They're umm too native in English(or maybe my listening skill is poor?), I think, so I didn't really clear about what they're saying. (I sat in FIRST line!) Same to the first speaker, they rather bored but the black man still trying to threw some jokes, which I think didn't even funny, so to appreciate him, I was like oh ha-ha. Thank God finally it's over after lunch time so I can move to other company. I doubted myself(again, and always) which company I should go, there were 3 choices. Finally after a hundred thoughts, I went to Ristra, a cosmetic company...with the assumption they'd share free products, and plus they only held one session. Quite tricky, but hell! Perfect thing I got free product from Ristra and the speaker was so warm & charming. She's old but really inspiring. Let me tell you something about the founder, she's a cosmetology doctor. She's tough and brave, somehow beautiful in her age. She pointed that to be an entrepreneur we also NEED to be a researcher. And innovation in products(system is too, if neede is a must thing to do! (now I realized how stupid I was in LCP election to say when the things already fine, I won't ruin it with new things but keep it stable...in other words no innovation, ha!). Last corporation I joined was Bank Mandiri and I was surprised with their systems. So terrific and they really make everything-easy-but-professional. Two thumbs up for Bank Mandiri, they put much effort in their works. If the other banks already give their 100%, Bank Mandiri put up...500%!

3) Papers from the folks
At the end in every conference, we can send everyone 'mini-letter', little things, etc in envelope with their names on it. That's the beautiful thing from AIESEC conference (: These are what I got from some lovely people:

I'd like to say thank you so much for Kak Willy and Kak Ayu for always being there motivating us during the conference, the delegates from AIESEC LC Undip who had been really well-cooperate(so glad to spent all the way home talking to Nila, you're such a brave one; glad to be close friends of Shinta and Teni, crazy girls really), thank you AIESEC LC UI and AIESEC in Indonesia(Khatulistiwa Team who seem always full of energy, amazing youth!), thank you for the facis(nice 5 minutes sharing time with Michael & been a good time being mentored by Naoki) and most importantly I thank to God and my parents for the opportunity and the money lol, without your permission this wouldn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment